Sunday, September 25, 2011

A Rainy Afternoon



Today has been a rather gloomy day. If I didn’t know any better, I’d say that I must have woken up in Seattle. However, I’m still in the Sunshine State, even though that nickname seems highly ironic as the rain continues to stream off of the eave outside. In honor of being stuck inside, I made a list of things to do when you’re rained in.

1. Put on a cozy sweater. It's always a little chillier on a dark and rainy day. I much prefer to be warm and comfy.

2. Read a book. If you're like me, you probably don't have much time to read anything that you actually want to other than a quick magazine article or blog once in a while. Take advantage of time stuck at home, and use it as an excuse to read for pleasure.

3. Watch a favorite movie or a marathon of your favorite TV show. Personally, my favorite movies to watch on a rainy afternoon are Disney classics, like Beauty and the Beast or The Little Mermaid, and romantic comedies that I've already seen about a million times but still manage to make me laugh, like 27 Dresses, When Harry Met Sally, and You've Got Mail (to name a few). If I were to sit down for a marathon, I'd probably opt for The Office, Grey's Anatomy, or Pretty Little Liars.

4. Try a DIY project. I love being creative and artsy, but again I rarely have time for that anymore. Rainy days are the perfect opportunity to push aside the to-do list and try something new just for you.

5. Make hot chocolate. When poured into your favorite mug, it's like a cup of heaven. Need I say more?

6. Wrap yourself up in a soft blanket and watch the rain. It sounds boring, but trust me, it's probably the best therapy you can ask for if you're constantly on the go.

7. Throw on some rain boots and splash around in the puddles outside. I have multicolored polka-dot rain boots and a hot pink umbrella. They instantly brighten up gloomy days like this, and nothing makes you feel more like a 5-year-old than jumping into a puddle.

8. Catch up on some sleep. Just thinking about the soothing sounds of a storm makes me yawn. I'm pretty sure I get my deepest sleep when it's raining.

9. Try a new recipe. I really love baking and cooking, but I never seem to have time to. Take this opportunity to experiment in the kitchen, or at least whip up some Pillsbury brownies.

10. Write in a journal or catch up on your blog. Writing is a great way to clear your head, but let's be honest... How often do we actually have time to write? Go ahead, vent, weave beautiful poetry, write a song, doodle, or just put your musings to paper.

Here’s to making rainy days a little happier!

Amy

2 comments:

  1. These are such great ideas! I love it when it rains, but I can never think of what to do. They are the perfect excuse to do something different than I do every other day. I definitely like the idea to try a new recipe. Rainy days woul be the perfect time to try out a new soup recipe. :) I will be sure to revisit this post the next time it rains!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trying a new soup recipe while it storms outside sounds like all kinds of wonderful!

    ReplyDelete